*I received free products for review purpose. I did not receive any other form of compensation from the company. All opinions are my own and not influenced in anyway. My reviews are not always positive, but they are my personal and honest opinions. Other people's views and experiences with the product or products might be different from mine.
The holiday season just got even brighter with the news that Despicable Me 2, the $872 million worldwide box office phenomenon and the year’s #1 comedy, arrives on Blu-ray™ and Blu-ray 3D™ Combo Packs, DVD and Digital HD including UltraViolet™ on December 10, 2013, from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. The film will also be available on Digital HD November 26, 2013, just in time for families to watch on the go as they gear up for holiday travel. In addition to more than 45 minutes of hilarious and insightful bonus features, Blu-ray Combo Packs will include, from the makers of Despicable Me, three all-new mini-movies starring the film series’ breakout stars, the mischievous but lovable Minions. For a sneak peek of these mini-movies, and other great weekly offers from Despicable Me 2, call Gru at **DM2 (**362) from your mobile phone.*
“Despicable Me 2 is the top box-office comedy of the year and is poised for spectacular success on home entertainment this holiday season,” said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. “This adored franchise, with its iconic lovable Minions, stands apart from all others and is sure to be at the top of everyone’s wish list this December.”
In this follow-up to the 2010 worldwide blockbuster, Steve Carell (“The Office,” The 40-Year-Old Virgin) returns to play Gru, the newly reformed master criminal now trying to live life as a normal dad to his three adopted daughters. Carell leads a voice cast of comedic powerhouses that includes Kristin Wiig (Bridesmaids, Saturday Night Live), Benjamin Bratt (Miss Congeniality, Snitch), Miranda Cosgrove (“iCarly,” Despicable Me), Russell Brand (Get Him to the Greek, Hop), Steve Coogan (Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Tropic Thunder), Ken Jeong (The Hangover, Turbo), Elsie Fisher (Despicable Me, Raising Hope), Dana Gaier (Despicable Me) and Moisés Arias (Ender’s Game, “Hannah Montana”). Despicable Me 2 is hailed as “Brilliant! One of the funniest, laugh-out-loud, most enjoyable movies ever” by MovieGuide®.
This Thanksgiving, Manhattan will share a memorable moment of Minion Madness with the world when a brand new Despicable Me 2 float joins the 87th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade® in celebration of the home entertainment release. Despicable Me 2 will roll out a deliciously decorated cupcake parlor inspired by the hilarious and heartwarming film and featuring Gru, the reformed master criminal turned devoted dad, and a gaggle of his unpredictable helpers, the Minions — including a surprise new character — to keep things lively and entertaining for the film’s millions of fans, both young and old. The 86th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade airs nationwide on NBC-TV, on Thursday, November 28, 2013 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM in all time zones.
The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and Blu-ray™ 3D Combo Pack include a Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital HD with UltraViolet™.
• Blu-ray™ unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6x the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.
• DVD offers the flexibility and convenience of playing movies in more places, both at home and away.
• DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet™ lets you watch movies anywhere, on any device. Users can instantly stream or download movies to watch on iPad®, iPhone®, Android™, smart TVs, connected Blu-ray™ players, game consoles and more.
Bonus Features Exclusive to Blu-ray™ Combo Pack & Blu-ray 3D™ Combo Pack.
• Three All-New Mini-Movies Starring the Minions—Introduced by Gru
o Panic in the Mailroom
o Training Wheels
• The Making of the Mini-Movies—A fun-filled take on the making of the mini-movies through the eyes of the artists who made them.
• Deleted Scene
• The Minions—A visit to Illumination Entertainment in Paris and Los Angeles to hear what it’s really like to work with the Minions.
• Evil Minions—Bigger, badder and more purple than ever, the newest and fiercest addition to the Minion species can chew through metal and swallow a car. Find out more about the process that led to their creation and design.
• A Gru-Some Transformation—A sit-down with Steve Carell as he discusses the transformation of Gru from the ultimate super-villain to super-dad and international spy.
• El Hombre Malo: The Villainy Of El Macho—Every great story needs a good villain, and Despicable Me 2 brings on the diabolico in the form of El Macho! Learn about the creation of this character and the actor who brought him to life—Benjamin Bratt.
Bonus Features on Blu-ray™ & DVD
• Gru’s Girls—Miranda Cosgrove, Elsie Kate Fisher and Dana Gaier weigh in on working with Steve Carell and playing the daughters of a world-famous super-villain!
• Gadgets Galore—Lipstick tasers, magnet ships, foam dart dispensers and jelly guns—these are the nifty gadgets of Despicable Me 2. Illumination Entertainment pulls back the curtain on what it takes to build a world that would leave even James Bond envious.
• Feature Commentary With Directors Chris Renaud & Pierre Coffin
Gru, his adorable girls, and the mischievous Minions are back with a cast of unforgettable new characters in the blockbuster sequel to the worldwide phenomenon. Just as Gru has given up being super-bad to be a super-dad, the Anti-Villain League recruits him to track down a new criminal mastermind and save the world. Partnered with secret agent Lucy Wilde, Gru, along with the wildly unpredictable Minions, must figure out how to keep his cover while also keeping up with his duties as a father. Assemble the Minions for laugh-out-loud comedy in “one of the funniest, most enjoyable movies ever!” (MovieGuide®)
CAST AND FILMMAKERS:
Cast: Steve Carell, Kristin Wiig, Benjamin Bratt, Miranda Cosgrove, Russell Brand, Steve Coogan, Ken Jeong, Elsie Fisher, Dana Gaier, Moisés Arias
Directed by: Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin
Screenplay by: Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio
Character Designers: Carter Goodrich, Eric Guillon
Producers: Chris Meledandri, Janet Healy
Production Designer: Yarrow Cheney, Eric Guillon
Editor: Gregory Perler, A.C.E.
Original Songs and Themes by: Pharrell Williams
A couple of weekends ago, we had a BBQ party at our house. With 10 parents and 9 kids running around the house, we had to find something to keep everyone entertained. While the adults snacked on appetizers, hung out around the BBQ to chit chat, we popped in Despicable Me 2 for the kids to watch. This fun movie did the magic. The kids sat quietly to watch the movie from beginning to end, giving us just enough time to BBQ chickens and tri-tip for 19 people. After we had our BBQ dinner, I finally got a chance to sit down and watch it with the kids myself. I thought the movie was great, there were definitely lots of laugh-out-loud moments. For instance, I thought the scene withe glass bowl around the chicken was really cute. I also like the scene when Gru realized how horrible tasting his jelly was. This combo pack comes with deleted scenes and 3 adorable mini-movies.
To buy it: please check your local stores where Universal Studio Home Entertainment DVDs are sold.